With cannabis legalization coming up in a year’s time, employers may be unsure of how to deal with cannabis in the workplace. However, it’s important to remember that cannabis is legal for medical purposes right now in Canada, and thousands of patients require this remedy for their day-to-day lives. In saying that, if you are a business owner or manager, you may have some employees who fit into this category. Here’s some tips for supporting medical cannabis patients in the workplace:
- Allow for longer breaks
- Allow for employee to work from home if they need to take their medical cannabis
- Provide additional training
- Provide training for the entire company on medical cannabis
- Rework the employees’ responsibilities to better accommodate this need
- Remove safety-sensitive duties from their job
If you’re company is in the midst of developing a medical marijuana policy, the Globe and Mail recently published a guide for doing this.