September is Muscular Dystrophy Month, and for those living with the disease, there’s hope in medical marijuana.
What is muscular dystrophy?
This disease results in progressive degeneration of muscle mass. Patients may have symptoms that include trouble breathing or swallowing, inability to sit up or walk and other signs of muscle deterioration.
How can medical marijuana help?
Medical marijuana has been shown to help muscular dystrophy symptoms by doing the following:
- Reducing glutamate transmission
- Antioxidant activity
- Anti-inflammatory activity
- Modulation of microglial cell activity
- Prevents apoptosis (cell death) in healthy cells
- Neuroprotective and neurotrophic (helps neurons grow) effects
- Enhances function of mitochondria
For more information on how medical marijuana helps muscular dystrophy, or to book an appointment, please call us: 403-475-4205.